Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index Wardlaw's Dragoones
Regimental forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheeky's living history site....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheeky Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Cheeky's living history site.... Reply with quote

Today I purchased an Oak bucket, and a food quality 20 gallon water butt for providing fresh water on L/H. Also a rustic old firkin (destined to become my stool). Other recent purchases include a sloped writing box, an ink-well, some ink, feathers & parchment.

Next I need some suitable timber to construct a rudimentary trestle, or bench table. I shall be out-and-about in my van tomorrow.

YES!!!! I'M DRIVING AGAIN!!!!
Cheeky Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday my quill pens arrived, and last night I was busy, beavering away, practicing my hand. I was taught to write, proper like, when I was in junior school. but like many, later on, I adopted a more modern script. I am now going to have to get myself a ruled exercise book, and get some more practice in. Initial attempts are looking promising!

The quills and ink were cheap enough, but I think I was robbed over the price of the parchment. I'll have to find a cheaper alternative, i. e. Basildon Bond's vellum.

My recorder has arrived, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. If I try playing it in the flat, I have a feeling I will get lynched. So I will just have to take off in the van, and go somewhere miles from anywhere with an inspiring view. There is this lay-by near the top of the Precelli's, With just the sheep for company. Perhaps I'd better not. You lot will be getting totally the wrong idea.
bigmartin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you go whistling up some sheep now - you'll get a bad reputation. Laughing
Glad to hear you're getting yourself well kitted out - a one man living history site.
Good on you.
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigmartin wrote:
Don't you go whistling up some sheep now - you'll get a bad reputation. Laughing

Yes, people might think that you're a Slanning! Wink
Cheeky Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigmartin, It's intended to compliment a living history display put together by other members of the regiment, and if I get a decent tent, somewhere on the LH site for the regiment to retreat to at meal times, and during inclement weather. Wardlaws living history will have it's own little corner.

We could possibly make Gordon's axe a feature!!
Cheeky Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today the barrels have arrived. Dispite the fact it was described as not water tight, the whiskey firkin is just the right height to use as a stool on living history. So that's my seating arrangement sorted out.

The 20 gallon water butt will only need filling once a weekend, unless it's a long weekend. The water bucket will get the immersion treatment to make it water-tight again.

My dagger handle. The wood turner has made an error, he has made it too fat, chunky, and out of proportion with the blade
He's supposed to have turned a bit more off it, but I don't think he has. Having said that, he's charged me enough. 10 for the handle, and 20 for a third party to manufacture a suitable brass pommel. The pommel is fine.
There is another wood-turner at the other end of the county, I will take it to him at my earliest opportunity.

I've been looking at trestle tables on ebay. Will anything like this be suitable on LH?

The table on the left is oak, and the table on the right is pine. I will endeavor to get the oak table. In the meantime can I have your comments please.

I still haven't sourced a tent. My wallet is possibly 350, plus carriage deep. but there is surely something cheaper about. Please keep your eyes peeled for me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: