Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index Wardlaw's Dragoones
Regimental forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Axes for Dragoons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigmartin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Axes for Dragoons Reply with quote

Gordon's picked a nice looking axe off e-bay. Straight handled as per C17th originals. Wants a bit of work doing on the handle as it'd do your fingers in actually chopping anything up with it at present due to the funny ridge it's got all down it. He's trying to work out how to sling it - I think a chat with Uncle Steve is needed.
I got home from work on Friday and there was a note pushed through the door to say they'd left the parcel "in a safe place". It was propped against the back wall of the house! Out of sight but not what I'd call "safe", especially as it was a great big box proclaiming it to be some sort of electronic music equipment. I wondered what Gordon had been buying. He was as bemused as I until he opened the box and found, nestling amongst a mound of packaging, the axe heavily swathed in bubble wrap. Talk about going to town with the wrapping! Laughing
Cheeky Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oe-er, If Gordon's picked up an axe, I'm off.
Some delivery drivers really haven't got a realistic view on where is a safe place to leave stuff.

I'm assuming that as you've posted here, it's got a L/H context. Would he be allowed to take it on the field as a pole arm???? or is it destined for a living history site?
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's nought it as a result of dicussions we've been having about how to look more distinctive as dragoons. A number of writers of the time advocated issuing dragoons with hatchets to assist them in clearing hedges for the cavalry (one of their main roles). The intention is that he will carry the metal one on parade and at drill but a wood headed one on the field. In neither case are they intended to be used as weapons!

I'm putting a newsletter in the post tomorrow which ahs more on our discussions to bring the rest of the regiment up to date.
Cheeky Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't a dragoone have carried a bill-hook, or was it only officers who carried those as pole-arms
Cheeky Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't a Dragoone have carried a bill-hook, or was it only officers who carried those as pole-arms.

Whilst I do agree an axe would be useful for making the camp fire. Surely a bill hook would be of more use in the clearing of brush and shrub.
bigmartin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheeky,
You're probably right. Bill hooks was one of the alternatives to axes we discussed when mulling all this over at Caldicot. I think we came to the conclusion that "some form of hedging implement" was likely to be carried.
I should add that the axe Gordon's bought is a long-handled hatchet sort-of-thing rather than a ruddy great felling axe. The intention is to mount it hanging from a strap from the shoulder strap of his bag, handle-down. Something like late C17th grenadiers if you get the picture.
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds about right.

I would rush to add that I'm not expecting, nor do I desire, everyone to have one. A few in some people's kit would however enhance our look.
Rachel the Spy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know which blade shape bill hook is appropriate to our period?
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there are differing types depending on the region. I had someone forward me a query about a reference in a sixteenth century fencing manual which spoke of ordinary and welsh bills as dinstinct types.

I magaed to find this, which might shed some light, http://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handbooks/content/section/271
but I also know that Gord has a book of period implements.
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a couple of interesting ones on ebay.

From the article Rob posted this looks like a west country hook:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Vintage-Billhook-Tool-bill-hook-axe-Napman-Son_W0QQitemZ280219435655QQcmdZViewItem

This one has a socket handle which I'm guessing (without any basis in evidence) might be closer to how they were made at the time?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/An-ELWELL-BILLHOOK-BILL-HOOK-No-2945-with-Socket-Handle_W0QQitemZ250238064011QQcmdZViewItem
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both look good, but the maker's marks are a bit of a bummer.
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing a file couldn't fix surely?

I think Gordon should post his opinion Wink
bigmartin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to lean on him to post something on the topic - either that or take his book on period tools to Kelmarsh.
Rachel the Spy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I vote for both, post a message and bring the book?
Abs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rachel (as long as that is her! Confused ) Come and join us Gordon -You know you want to Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: