Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index Wardlaw's Dragoones
Regimental forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matchlock mechanism

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Matchlock mechanism Reply with quote

Being a bloke, and therefore a borderline-autistic anorak, I've been looking at diagrams of matchlock mechanisms and thinking "How did that work?"

I've seen examples of mechanisms with a lever trigger (presumably these were used on early matchlocks/calivers?) but when it comes to locks with a separate trigger mechanism I can't find anything to show how the trigger actually moved the sear bar. was the trigger on an off-centre pivot which then put upward pressure on the bar? Or was it still technically part of the bar itself but angled and shortened to look like a trigger? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can wait until Easter I'll get Pete Fisher to explain it to you...
bigmartin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top part of the trigger (the bit that's hidden in the stock) is triangular and pivots by its very top and pushes against a lug on the sear (the central pivoted bit of the lock). This means the more you press it in the more it pushes the rear end of the sear up. This drops the front end of the sear (obviously) which has a lug fitting into a cam on the bar the serpent's swivelling by, which drops it towards the pan. All this is balanced by a simple spring holding the sear in place.
This sounds a lot more complicated than it really is - it's just hard to put into words. If you look at one you'll see what a simple bit of kit it really is.
On the older types of gun, the lever trigger is just an external extension of the sear that lifts it directly.

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: