Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index Wardlaw's Dragoones
Regimental forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pyrodex

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dannolad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Pyrodex Reply with quote

I know I am getting a little ahead of myself as I still have not got my SGL yet, but, whilst having my haircut at a local barber. He was chatting about hunting and was telling me about some muzzle loaders he owns. He said that he uses Pyrodex as you can buy it without a black powder licence and it has all the same qualities in regards flash, smoke and propellant.

Thoughts/Ideas?
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my limited experience it has similar qualities to black powder. It has a slower burn rate than black powder (hence it's a propellant rather than a low-grade explosive) which means that it can build up a lot more pressure in the barrel before it goes bang - this can be good or bad depending on circumstances.

I used it in Germany and found it was generally harder to ignite (One chap spent all morning at the shooting competition trying unsuccessfully to get his piece to fire) and it wasn't good for my musket. I eventually had to douse the final charge in my musket and this was not only difficult to extricate but made a right mess of the inside of my barrel.
Dannolad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that is that one put to bed then, the Barber seemed to suggest that in all characteristics they were the same.

No good at all if it causes blinds.
bluefish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also add my bit to this. The Sealed Knot don't like you using any explosive not supplied by the magazine and after the incident at a easter training weekend a few years ago where someone was loading a musket with Pyrodex. After failing to get it to fire the first time he kept loading it untill it finally went off blowing apart the breach of the barrel and atomising the stock round it. The guy also lost several fingers off his right hand.
I'm sure the SK have band Pyrodex after this. The proof marks on musket barrels normally say 'blackpowder only, not Pyrodex'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: