Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index Wardlaw's Dragoones
Regimental forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> News and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dannolad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Greetings Reply with quote

Good evening Ladies & Gents,

I was fortunate to spend the day at Basing House on the late August Bank Holiday and spent a rather enjoyable day soaking up the sights, sounds and in some cases smells.

My sons pricked my conscience quite badly as my knowledge of the Civil War was rather rudimentary and goes back to my school in the late 70's where Parliamentarians were portrayed as rather dour men in round helmets and very plain rustic clothing and Royalists were the dandy cavaliers in dashing hats and flashy clothes. So when asked who is who, I did not have the foggiest. So I made it my task to read up and find out more.

My first call was a little trip down the family tree to check my families standing, but little is evident, my elders that were alive at the time were either labourer's or at the highest Church Warden at All Cannings (a Daniell Parry no less), so firmly a common family, therefore a parliamentarian unit for me.

I have spoken with Gordon and Tim about the basics and am eager to join and 'live' history too. I already try to recreate a little bit of history by volunteering on a preserved steam railway, which is fun and rather rewarding. I look forward to meeting you all in due course at the next muster and would welcome any pointers, tips, links or hints on where to pick up the basic kit.

Best wishes.

Danny Perry
Abs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely to hear from you, Danny. Hopefully we will get a chance to meet you soon. I wouldn't worry about kit etc yet, you can borrow what you need to start off.

Unfortunately things get a bit quiet over the winter but I'm sure that Gordan will keep you updated on what is going on and we will all be able to get together soon.

Welcome on board!
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you here, Danny. As Abbey says, don't worry about kit at the moment; there'll be plenty fo time for that once you've met us and seen whether you actually like us!
Rachel the Spy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings from the Dark Side Danny.

Abs and Rob are right, people will bring spare kit for you to wear at first. You can usually buy a few things at the musters (we got shirts when we first joined) but its best to take someone with you so you don't get the wrong thing.

Rachel the Spy, Wardlaws tame(ish) Royalist and Corporal Jones
Dannolad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome and the pointers, I just don't want to appear like a complete scrounger turning up with nothing. I have an old set of desert boots that will fall to the knife soon and a set of plain kilt socks. I used to strangle a cat years ago (bagpipes) and still have a few remaining items left. I also do like the idea of ale 'sampling' too.

I did say to Gordon I would like to try my hand at making my own breeches over the winter, as I can just about thread a needle...............

Regards

Danny
The Huntsman of Soest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Danny
great to have you on board, Hopefully we can all meet you sometime over the winter. Feel free to ask any advice or questions about kit, the Sealed Knot etc.

I am about to post up some info. on basic kit and how to source it, so keep watching the forum

cheers
Abs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to make breeches I have a pattern (made out of newspaper!) That I can make a copy of for you and can help adjusting it to your size if you like.

Don't worry about the scrounging, we have all been there and it is perfectly normal for your first few dos, there is lot of spare kit floating about.
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Danny,

Glad you've been able to start posting. Hopefully we'll be able to catch up with you at some point over the winter, perhaps at one of the re-enactor's fairs or the regimental banquet?

Usually you can tell if you're a Wardlaw if you fulfil one or more of the following traits:

* You can quote verbatim the script from any episode of the four series of Blackadder.
* You are a keen railway enthusiast.
* You sport a fetching gotee beard.
* You are partial to a nice glass of Port (although in the regimental lingo Port is known as "Banjo" - all will be explained).
* You judge the potential of a battlefield by the number of hedges it contains.
* You have a propensity (after a "certain number" of beers) to create strange beasts from the depths of your imagination (see the "Wardlaws Xenibiology thread: http://www.wardlawsdragoones.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196).
* You can shrug off any cock-ups you are involved in by saying "Well, at least I LOOKED good whilst everything went tits-up".

If you can say yes to any of these traits (and any others that I may have missed) then you should fit right in!

Cheers,

Gruff
Dannolad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, I was nodding to all but the goatee one Laughing
bigmartin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of the "goatee sporters". Nice to speak to you the other day.
Dannolad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to talk to you too. I cannot have a goatee in my current job, besides being fairly light coloured hair, I look more like catweazle Razz
bluefish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the new CO doesn't have a goate, all I ever look like is I need a good shave.
Will try to meet up with Dan and Kelly in Oct, will keep you all posted.

True what the guys say about kit, there is loads of spare about for you both to borrow to start with.

Again a big warm welcome to Wardlaw's and the forum Very Happy
Dannolad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to finally meet you yesterday Gordon,

Very glad we dont have pike (you stupid boy) it looked like too much hard work to me.

I could be seen drilling with a broom handle in my utility room yesterday evening, glad the neighbours couldnt see.

Look forward to see you all next weekend.
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drilling with a broomstick?

Definitely a Wardlaw!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> News and Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: