Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index Wardlaw's Dragoones
Regimental forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calligraphy skills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheeky Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Calligraphy skills Reply with quote

Does anyone have any calligraphic skills?

I understand it's as simple as paring a quill (feather), and that it was common to use pheasant tail feathers, as well as goose feathers from the left wing. Yes, they are handed. It's practice in the cutting of the quill I seem to lack, and a knowledge of C17 style handwriting.

Also, where am I likely to find examples of the latter?
Abs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a book that I could recomend for learning basic calligraphy skills, it is designed for modern card makers etc but is very good.

However, I fell in love with it from the library and had to search hign and low for my own copy because it was out of print. I'll have a closer look at it over the weekend and let you know if I think it will be any good.
Cheeky Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Thanks Abs. If you can let me have the ISBN I can chase it down in my local library, perhaps.
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Calligraphy skills Reply with quote

Cheeky Monkey wrote:

I understand it's as simple as paring a quill (feather), and that it was common to use pheasant tail feathers, as well as goose feathers from the left wing.

Hmmm - Tim Mole has done a fair bit of this. I seem to remember that he also dried the quill in a pan of hot sand.

As to the handwriting, I'm not sure that modern calligraphy hands will match seventeen th-century handwriting. You are better to have a look at some originals - such as this http://www.btinternet.com/~tylcoat/handwrit.htm
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember that whilst most people could read very few people could write - it was the skill of the learned and professional rather than a basic skill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: