Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index Wardlaw's Dragoones
Regimental forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drill website
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Drill website Reply with quote

Have been given this link which describes and explains period infantry drill. It's well owrth a look (and perhaps we can get it put up as a link Gruff?)

http://syler.com/drillDemo/menu.html
Spy Finder General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of drill (excluding the Dragoons who have done it for ever) should we drill more ! I know its a regimental tradition that the only drill we are involved with is watching other regiments from the beer tent or the breakfast table. Do we need to sharpen up on working in pairs, basic musket drill, sword drill and moving as a body. What do you think?

Stephen
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've read my mind.

One of the reasons wee ceased to drill regularly was because of the small numbers and low turn out. It always seemed to me a pointless activity if there werre only three of us including me!

Now, however, I feel we have sufficient to start working on our drill again, and we shall do so.

I am also looking at aspects of drill and our battlefield activities. Watch this space...
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I don't believe that there should be a get-out clause just because you have been 'doing it for ever'.
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link is added, as ordered.

I have to say that being a complete newbie I was a bit miffed to discover that I'd signed up for the regiment with the most complicated drill in the entire army!

That said it does look good when we all do it well.
Cheeky Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, for some time now, been meaning to take photographs of, and write a blog on Wardlaws particularly unique musket drill. It's something that I for various reasons have had difficulty in learning, but as Gruff above mentions, if done well en-masse does look particularly spectacular.

That said....
I still prefer our coffee table drill!!
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheeky,

I was asked by the Association to draw up a document of our drill once (I think they were thinking about adopting it for display purposes, but it never happened).

I added it to the new recruits booklet.

I'll send you a copy as soon as I can get back on my own computer (which is playing up at the moment).
Cheeky Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now he tells me!!!!
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never asked! Wink
Spy Finder General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob (if we make it to four ranks) and we are firing by introduction should the rear rank passes through the main body! And do you want us to go to the right or the left of the man in front and should this only be done in 'open order' (six foot spacing) for safety. Or would you prefer to fire by forlorn rank advancing from the rear to the right or left of the body in 'order' (three foot spacing).

Firing by ex filtration, I take it you want us to troop to the rear in the normal way and not to pass through the body!

Can we have your thoughts!
(If you tell us what you want, then you can shout when we get it wrong)
A reminder of how to work in pairs would be helpfull.

Stephen
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, right, what he said Rolling Eyes
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruff - it's okay, I know what he's talking about (I think!)

Steve - need to have a chat about this one. The folorn rank system is safer and better, but is not normally done by the Association. Space can also be a consideration.
Cheeky Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I never did get that new recruit booklet.
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just re-read what Steve posted and I now get the gist of what he is talking about - the Bariffe is kicking in!

I also realise the great honour afforded to me at association drill when I was made bringer-up of our file, although my ego was restrained by the fact that there were only 3 of us in the file!

Anyhow, having read the first 15 or so chapters of Military Discipline I reckon I've learned as much about William Bariffe as I have about drill:

1. He's borderline autistic - anally retentive with a large helping of obsessive compulsive thrown in (how many chapters on doubling?!)

2. He either married very badly or didn't get married at all.

3. He has no idea how funny he is, although I'll let him off of this one as it's the effect of the passage of time that has occassionally made me laugh out loud at his writing style.

Ho Hum, only about 50 chapters to go...
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruff wrote:

1. He's borderline autistic - anally retentive with a large helping of obsessive compulsive thrown in (how many chapters on doubling?!)

Never thought of him like that! There's also an element of the age of reason about it - mathematics and science at the heart of everything.

Gruff wrote:
Ho Hum, only about 50 chapters to go...

I'm impressed. Good luck with the rest - it gets more convoluted - a sort of military kama sutra.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: