Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index Wardlaw's Dragoones
Regimental forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Powder Flasks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Huntsman of Soest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Powder Flasks Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest a good source of realistic powder flasks? I had a pair made by 2Js wood covered in leather as per originals, but they look a bit tinny.

I am really after a curved one now, to carry on a portache. One to be made as an original, and one to comply with SK regulations.

I realise that flasks don't seem to have been widely used in the ECW but were popular on the continent in the TYW.
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a nice curved flask from Plantagenet Reproductions. It didn't come with a hook/bar/prong for putting it onto a portetache but if you had a word with them they might be able to fix one.

They don't have a website but you can contact them at:

plantagenet@wightcablenorth.net
The Huntsman of Soest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gruff, any chance of a piccy? I assume it has the new SK safety valve thing on the bottom?
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of me using it at Naseby. I can take some pics of it on it's own if you would like?

The Huntsman of Soest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gruff, nice drill posture you have.

Do the SK regs prohibit metal sides as the originals? Shame if they do Rolling Eyes
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. Pete Fisher has a metal powder flask (home-made if I'm not mistaken).

I think the key requirements are a weak-point in case of ignition and a measured cut-off if you are using it to charge and not just prime. However, I'm pretty new to this game so I await correction.

I must admit, if I could have my pick of contemporary designs I would have a curved flask made of carved ivory or bone - something like this:

The Huntsman of Soest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, but a bit posh for a common grunt like me. By the way, can you tell a bumpkin like myself how to post a picture up on this site?
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite easy, but you need to have the image stored online somewhere (e.g. Photobucket/Flickr)

Above the text box that you type your reply into there is a row of grey buttons. Press the one that says "Img" and it will type "[img]" into your reply. Next, copy/paste the web address of your image and then press "Img" again. It will then type "[/img]" into your reply and when you post it it will display the image (hopefully!)
Dannolad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just picked up cheap a small cows horn powder flask, would this fit the period also?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: