Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index Wardlaw's Dragoones
Regimental forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A letter from Col. Wardlaw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: A letter from Col. Wardlaw Reply with quote

I finally received a package I've been expecting from Caliver books today: a Souldiers Catechisme and, more interestingly, a copy of a letter from one "James Wardlace" to William Lenthall.

It includes the wording of the vow that Wardlaw made the townsfolk swear to boost their morale after the loss of Fort Stamford. Very interesting reading - I may type it up when I have a moment.

The most striking thing about the taking of Fort Stamford is that the defenders were still offered terms at the third time of asking. More surprising still is that they were allowed to leave with guns, colours and ammunition and all but one of their cannon - the Royalist commander being offered the chance to take his pick of the ordinance.

Considering that there were significant casualties on both sides this seems to be unbelievably lenient.
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a moment - here is the vow in full:

The vow and protestation

I A.B. In the presence of almighty God, do vow and protest, that I will to the utmost of my power, by Gods assistance, faithfully maintaine and defend the Townes of Plimouth and Stone-howse, the fort and iland, with all the outward works and fortifications to the same belonging, against all forces now raised against the said townes of Plimouth and Stone-howse, the fort and iland or any part thereof , or shall be raised by any power or authority whatsoever, without the consent and authority of both houses of Parliament.

Neither will I by way or meanes whatsoever, contrive or consent to the giving up of the Townes and fortifications aforesaid, or any parcell of them, into the hands of any person, or persons whatsoever, without the consent of both houses of Parliament, or such as are authorised thereunto by them.

Neither will I by Gods grace raise or consent to the raising of any force or tumult, nor will I by any way or means give or yield to the giving of any advice, counsell or intelligence, to the prejudice of the said Townes and fortifications either in whole or in part: but will with all possible speed faithfully discover to the mayor of Plimouth, and to the commander in chiefe there, whatsoever designe I shall know or here of hurtfull thereunto.

Neither have I accepted any pardon or protection, nor will I accept any protection from the enemy. And this vow and protestation I make, without any equivocation and mentall reservation whatsoever: beleeving that I cannot be absolved from this my vow and protestation; and wishing no blessing from God on myself or my posterity, if I do not truly and sincerely performe the same. So helpe me God

Finis

Does anyone else think that it might be good to have a link to the full text of the letter and the vow from the website?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: