Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index Wardlaw's Dragoones
Regimental forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bandolier or cartridges?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Bandolier or cartridges? Reply with quote

I know we've talked about moving towards flintlocks in our "How can we look like Dragoones?" discussions but I can't remember if any preference was stated with regard to carrying powder charges.

No amount of persuasion would make me part with my bandolier but I wondered what the ideal might be - especially considering the difficulty of bandoliers on horseback (not to mention SK regs). Would early dragoones have had cartridges, charged from a horn/flask or just done the best they could with a bandolier?
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am of the opinion that both early and late dragoons were equipped with a collar of charges (bandoleer). There is no evidence for Okey's being issued with cartridge boxes (those being ordered for the NMA are not specfied as being for dragoons) and the early war dragoons certainly wouldn't have had them specially made.

The SKs regs are there because of the danger of the powder being spilt from the bottles - personally I think it an unnecessary one. I have ridden with empty bottles and they rattle about no more or less than any of the other bits of equipment and impedimentia the dragoon (or indeed cavalryman) is expected to carry.

In short - bandoleers are preferred I think. If (and I firmly intend for it to be an if) we ride then empty bandoleers and a closed bag of cartridges would be the most likely way to go.
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my carbine is done I shall almost certainly load from a flask in the first instance (although I am still keen to have a half-round patron (cartridge box) made).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: