Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index Wardlaw's Dragoones
Regimental forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed for school work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Help needed for school work Reply with quote

I have been asked to do a "Civil War Experience" day at the school where I work (It's for "enrichment" week - a bit like reading week at university where students do a whole range of things that are only tenuously linked to education). I will be putting it together for 4 or 5 students in the unit where I work.

Now, I have broadly decided that what we are going to do is form our own regiment. I will present the students with the Militia Ordinance and the Commission of Array at the start of the day and they will have to decide which one they will obey (although I have been steadily indoctrinating them towards the Godly path for some weeks now!). Then we will design and make a regimental colour from some charity shop bedsheets and scrap material.

We will also do some musket drill and some parading and at the end of the day I will get the Head Teacher to come and inspect them and present them with a commission in whatever army it was they chose to join.

I could do with another couple of activities so any suggestions are welcome.

I'm going to ask a local regiment if they can lend me some small(er) soldiers coats and dummy muskets.

But I was also wondering if any of you guys have a wooden pole I could use to make a Polearm (Gordon perhaps?) that I could pick up at Steeple Ashton.

Also, would anyone trust me enough to let me borrow a sword/scabbard/baldrick between Steeple Ashton and Faringdon? I have a sword that would suffice for School Work but I don't have anything to carry it.

Any help - even if it's just in useful suggestions is appreciated!
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed for school work Reply with quote

Gruff wrote:
It's for "enrichment" week - a bit like reading week at university where students do a whole range of things that are only tenuously linked to education).

You obviously went to an unusual university - reading week generally has nothing at all to do with education, but a lot to do with going home and getting your washing done Very Happy

Will have a think and see what we can do to help out. Can chat about it at Steeple Ashton.
bigmartin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure that we've got a suitable pole around the place at the moment.

We'll have a think as to what we can provide.
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely a broom handle would serve?
Abs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have broom handles, They are usually used for parading papermache heads around the field when my year 7 peasants "revolt" (in an orderly manner so as not to disturb anybody elses lesson!)
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Jones wrote:
Surely a broom handle would serve?

For the students perhaps, but I wanted something to use myself so it would possibly have to be a bit longer than a broom handle. However, a broom handle may suffice for the colour - it's not going to be full size after all. I think a trip to B&Q may be on the cards...

I forgot to mention that I'd get them to do some battle cries as well - they like making noise!

It's going to be held on the Monday after Steeple Ashton so it would be good to talk through some ideas although any activities that require props or preparation would be kept for another time (I hope to use the ideas again sometime)
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, never mind the pole. Earlier today I was at a Primary School that was having a clear-out and I was granted permission to salvage some wooden poles from the skip. I'll try and fish out some Plywood tommorrow and hey presto - a Halberd!

I've also designed some commission certificates based on some modern(ish) commission scrolls that I found online. I've also got copies of the Militia Ordinance and a Commission of Array to read out at the start.
bigmartin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're coming on quite well with it.

See you at Steeple Ashton.
Cheeky Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will also need to make, or get them to make a guidon or reg't colours!
If you still have the time & opportunity.
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then we will design and make a regimental colour from some charity shop bedsheets and scrap material.

He's way ahead of you, John. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: