Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index Wardlaw's Dragoones
Regimental forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Girly stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Girly stuff Reply with quote

I have promised to make Gareth an embroidered linen cap and quite fancy giving it a go doing it as "properly" as I can. Now, I know how to transfer the pattern to the fabric by pricking it and rubbing charcoal through, but I'm not sure I should use a stick (like artists stuff) or powder it. I also have seen many contemporary pieces of embroidered clothing that were not finished and they were embroidered before the fabric pieces were cut out but I'm not sure if they would have used a frame or ring of any kind.

Can anyone help me out? Or point me in the direction of a book that could?
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will speak to Liz and try and get her to respond. Afraid she doesn't get to her e-mails as often as I do (but then she does work for a living!)
Lizwardo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about asking on the Unofficial Beer Tent? (http://beertent.proboards76.com/index.cgi)

Somebody on there might be able to help you out
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz has finally got your post. She says that as when we get back from Normandy (end of this week) she'll hunt some stuff out for you.
Spy Finder General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a book on samplers and it had some dating back to the 1600's. Two of the examples were not finished, one of these had a paper backing to keep the material in position and the second had a image drawn onto the material (I don't know what with) and the personwas sewing over it. Both come from a famous collection in a museum in Scotland. some of the material was very evenly woven so you could easily count the threads when doing blackwork.

Hope that helps.

The Spy (not the Spy Finder)
Abs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummmm... backing the fabric with paper would make it stiffer and easier to sew without a frame but it must be a pain to remove it afterwards...?!?

Sound like a lovely book.

BTW why don't you get your own login?
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Cos she's an evil Royalist Laughing Laughing Wink Wink

Actually Rachel does have here own log-in, as to why she isn't using it ... Question
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz says that the more complex costume pieces would have had the pattern drawn onto the material by artists who would use black ink to 'join the dots' left by the charcoal rubbing process. Surviving examples of coifs and bodice pieces (and therefore presumably men's caps) are clearly embroidered before being finished - there are hundreds of examples.

In terms of frames, there is an engraving of somebody using a frame which looks like a modern free-standing one (although Liz couldn't remember the source) but it is not necessary. She says you would use a frame if you wanted to keep the piece straight (i.e. the frame stops the material from distorting).

You also get embroidery directly onto the base material or onto another piece of material which is then cut out and applied to the costume. The latter, of course, slips. What Rachel might be talking about is the slip with a paper backing on it, or the use of the much more complex techniques of needle-lace use din stumpwork. This is not generally used on clothing because it is 3-dimensional, but is primarily for boxes and pictures.

If you want books and examples, give us a ring and we'll bring some to Caldicot.
Abs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmmmmmm.. I love stump work. Maybe thats something to learn in the future. My mother-in-law is already forcing me to learn to make lace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: