Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index Wardlaw's Dragoones
Regimental forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragoone survey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Huntsman of Soest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Dragoone survey Reply with quote

Just been musing about the changes in the Knot since I was last active (in the mid 90's). One big advance which I was delighted to see was a regiment (Owen's I believe) bold enough to do pike point only, and turning out well kitted soldiers with all the right equipment , and presumably drilling properly too (I haven't had a chance to have a closer look yet). This led me on (inevitably perhaps) to wonder if we could do something similar (without the pikes and on the right side Laughing )

I have put a few questions together for a little survey, purely to satisfy my own nosiness, and It would be great if anyone who has time, could answer them, even with a simple Y or N (or more fully if they prefer).

1.Do you find being as 'authentic' as reasonably possible, important?

2.Do you like brigading with other regiments for battles?

3.Would you be prepared to do, say, an hours drill a day at musters?

4.Do you love your blue coat, or would you be happy wearing a more useful redcoat that could double up as a NMA coat?

5.To finance the purchase of realistic kit for all members of the regiment and new recruits, would you be prepared to pay a monthly subscription of for example 1 for unwaged, and 5-10 for waged?

My own answers (if anyone is interested) are

1. Yes. It is possible to be mega-realistic without bankrupting yourself, and still have oodles of fun.

2. No. I am sure we could turn out 10 or 12 dragoons/musketeers at least 2 or 3 times a year, perhaps enough to go solo again.

3. Yes, providing I wasn't on my own. It doesn't take long to get a unit well drilled, which is safer for all as well as being good for morale.

4. Not bothered about blue coat Shocked and would find a uniform red coat better for post and pre NMA events. Also when having to brigade with other musketeers at least we would look like a regiment even if we all do different drill !

5. Personally Yes of up to 10 pcm, if it meant us fielding 10+ fully kitted out soldiers (from authentic buttons to bandoliers, belt buckles to baldricks). I would guess this could be achievable in 2 years if we all coughed up what we can, and then go on to buy Living history stuff.

Anyhow, thats a few of my ideas. Let me know what you think. I am off on holiday where I don't think there is internet access (North Devon), so I will be back in a week.
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and not just in appearance. I think the things we do and the way we do them should be as authentic as possible as well.

Well, that very much depends on who the other regiments are! Generally no, but I have occasionally been in with some good ones.

Yes, particularly if it involved shooting and/or posing outrageously!

4.Do you love your blue coat, or would you be happy wearing a more useful redcoat that could double up as a NMA coat?

I love both my coats. I try and aim to be an early ECW soldier with my blue coat and an NMA soldier with my red. In all honesty I'd love it if we had a range of civilian coats for early stuff but as Rob pointed out we would no longer be visible to the powers that be if we did this.

5.To finance the purchase of realistic kit for all members of the regiment and new recruits, would you be prepared to pay a monthly subscription of for example 1 for unwaged, and 5-10 for waged?

5 perhaps but not much more. Perhaps a better thing to do initially would be to collect together all the old kit hanging around and mend/improve it.
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial thoughts and comments for you. With your permission I'd like to circulate this questionaire to the whole regiment via e-mail and collate the responses.

Yes, both in terms of kit and in terms of actions.

Not especially, but I think that the fielding of large scale units at major musters offers a much better show for the public than dozens of twelve man units. Larger scale bodies offer the opportunity for greater accuracy in terms of battlefield drill (always assuming, of course, that everyone drills). I do not think that Association and army commanders will allow us to be independent either.

Yes, but this is only worthwhile when there are more than four musket at an event (which, unfortunately, has not been the case until the season before last).

The undertsanding is that everyone has two coats - Wardlaw's blue (which in the past was cut to a doublet pattern) and a 'new model' red (the exact shade of which has changed from time to time). When we discussed updating the regiment's image three or so season's ago, we looked at coats and I argued that whilst regimental colours were almost certainly unauthentic (the companies for Wardlaw's and Brown's seemed to have been raised by volunteers and then put together in an ad hoc manner, which would mitigate against their having uniform) being in civvies would not be helpful. Some of the research I have done since suggests that at least some of the companies may have been raised for service in the irish army; might they have been issued with coats (something that needs to be looked at in more detail).

In short; I think there is room enough to have a blue coat and a red coat as well - the change I might suggest is that the blue is cut in coat form and not as a doublet.

Whilst I understand the rationale behind it I am not sure how it would work in practice. It would certainly need a large amount of administration and there are certain financial regulations regarding subscriptions and taxation which I know would have to be considered (which is not necessarily a reason not to undertake it, you understand, but certainly needs careful thinking).
The Huntsman of Soest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far chaps. Just back from rainsoaked North Devon, no doubt a taster of Basing.

What I would propose is that at Basing we have a chat about it with all the rest of the regiment and hopefully go from there.

Another couple of points which we might consider are to draw up a dress code (based on primary sources rather than re-enactment traditions)and a suggested list of kit suppliers, and also (sorry Rob) is that all officers that are not 'officering' take the field dressed as a ranker. This would increase our numbers (which we need to do) and reduce the posse of officers all bellowing out different orders.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: