Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index Wardlaw's Dragoones
Regimental forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Essential reading for the up and coming Dragoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Huntsman of Soest

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Essential reading for the up and coming Dragoon Reply with quote

Hello again, as promised (at least I think I did to Gruff and Martin) here are the details of 3 essential books to all those with an unhealthy interest in muskets. Johann Jakob Christoffel von Grimmelshausen fought in the Thirty Years War on the Imperial side and his stories are semi-autobiographical and packed with fascinating and not entirely useless facts about soldiering in the seventeenth century. These are excellent new translations from Mike Mitchell of Dedalus publishing. Don't buy any other translation as earlier ones are really stodgy and boring.

1.The Adventures of Simplicius Simplicissimus The most well known of the trilogy, chronicles the progress of Simplicius from peasant to Dragoon and beyond. ISBN 1 903517427

2.Tearaway Tearaway is the sidekick of Simplicius and this chronicles his adventures before and after those mentioned in the book above. ISBN 1 903517184

3. The Life of Courage Courage is an enterprising lady of (very) loose morals who crops up in the previous books. This, her story, is a fascinating window into the life of a sutleress and er... lady of easy leisure.
ISBN 1 873982569

enjoy.
Mike
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ave the stodgy and boring transaltion of Simplicisimus. It ws still interesting. I'll have to hunt these down. Cheers.
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mere £8.95 through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1903517427/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1242644095&sr=11-1&condition=new

I sense a payday purchase coming on...
bigmartin

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. Glad you remembered, Mike.
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought it, read it, loved it!

I agree with you Mike about the translation - it's very colourful and lively!

One quote made me smile considering the many discussions that have taken place over how we can make ourselves more distinctive as Dragoones:

"no beast is as like a musketeer as a dragoon and when a dragoon falls off his horse a musketeer gets up."

Oh dear!
Gruff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now bought (and read halfway through) Tearaway, which I thought was the second of the three books. Turns out it's the third! Never mind, it's thoroughly enjoyable and has some piquant observations relating to Pikemen...
The Huntsman of Soest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are enjoying them Gruff, sorry I got them in the wrong order, but it doesn't make much difference. Courage is also a suberb read providing a window into the life of a camp-follower Shocked

Good point about the dragoon-musketeer difference. I have always thought that there should be no real difference other than the fact we don't have to tow a bunch of simian pikemen around. Laughing

More books to read about everyones favourite war are William Guthrie's Battles of the Thirty Years War Vol 1 and 2. Shop around though, prices can vary up to £60. Packed full of information and trivia to make those long winter nights fly by.
Abs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying Simplissisimus now, when I'm not reading books on witchcraft!!
The Huntsman of Soest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witchcraft eh? Perhaps Mr. Mole should be informed of your unhealthy interest in the dark arts and he could arrange a swimming.

On this subject try Witchfinders by Malcolm Gaskill, a thorough but rather depressing study of the depredations of Hopkins and Stearne. Personally I preferred The Devil on the Road by Robert Westall. A teen novel, but very atmostpheric and starting with a great description of an SK battle in the early years. Absolutely essential reading.

More up to date practices can be explored in What Witches Do by Janet and Stuart Farrar, giving a basic outline of modern Wicca (bit dated now, but a good starting point).
Abs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm, readibng up mainly on the historical debate for our new A-Level module. Did it at 3rd year uni but that was a while ago. I have a reading list as long as my arm from the exam board and as it is our "non-British" module we are supposed to be concentrating on the continent reather than Britain but I will take a look at those books because the students might enjoy them and anything to keep then interested in what is essentually a historiography module would be great. Thanks!
The Huntsman of Soest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as far as I am aware they didn't do thinks by halves over there when chasing supposed witches.

www.malefiz-house.blogspot.com makes some cheery reading, about the Witch House in Bamberg.
The Huntsman of Soest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say to all, enjoy Weston. I am off to the 7th Century and the court of King Raedwald at Sutton Hoo. Hope the weather improves.

wes žu hal as they say in those parts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wardlaw's Dragoones Forum Index -> Re-enacting Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: